Friday, July 26, 2013

Interview: Todd Sepulveda (Prepper Website)




Today we have Todd Sepulveda of Prepper Website.

The Independent (TI):  Todd, tell us a little about yourself and what you do.
Todd Sepulveda (Todd): By day, I am an elementary school administrator for a public school district in the suburbs of Houston, Texas.  I was purposeful in choosing elementary school because most males choose to work in middle or high schools.  For example, in my school of over 100 staff members, there are only two guys, me and another teacher.  Boys in elementary need male role models.  They shouldn't have to wait till middle or high school to experience someone that can speak into their life if it's necessary.

I'm also an ordained minister and pastor a home church.  I felt led into the ministry at the age of 16 and attended Houston Baptist University as a result.  I consider myself a Christian mutt.  Growing up my parents were Catholic, I attended a Lutheran school from 1st thru 8th grade, attended a Baptist college, at some point in my life we attended a Seventh Day Adventist Church, a Jewish Messianic Church, pentecostal churches and feel I grew up in a non-denominational church.  I consider my church an inter-denominational church. ;-)

My story into preparedness is on Prepper Website.  I won't rewrite to save space, but if you are interested, you can read it here - http://www.prepperwebsite.com/about/

I stay busy.  But everything that I involve myself in is because I want to.  I've learned to say no to people and opportunities and not feel bad about it.

TI:  You actually operate several sites, including Prepper Small Biz, your latest endeavor.  What is the purposes of PSB?
Todd: I started PSB for a number of reasons.

1. I believe that preppers, should be financially prepared.  As a result, we should have budgets, live below our means, etc...  But one of the other things that I believe preppers should do is have multiple streams of income.  So one of the purposes of PSB is for those preppers who start micro or small businesses to list their site so that other preppers can support their business.

2. Another reason I started PSB is that I see preparedness related businesses starting to be affected by the economy.  I think if preppers knew of other prepper-related or prepper-owned businesses, that they would support them. Preppers Supporting Preppers!

3. Something that happened as a result of starting PSB, but wasn't one of the initial purposes of PSB was the Book of the Month Club.  This is a forum where preparedness authors can share their book and interact with their reader/fans.  There are books/authors lined up till Nov. 2013 already.  I'm looking forward to it! - http://www.preppersmallbiz.com/book-of-the-month/

TI:  You’re an ordained minister.  How does your faith impact your preparedness?  Can you speak to Christians who believe to prepare for the worst is to not trust in God?
Todd:  I prepare because of my faith!  My journey into preparedness started as  result of a prayer time when I was on Christmas break in 2009.  You can read the story in the link above.

I have had other Christians tell me that a life of preparedness means you don't have faith in God.  That is the stupidest thing I ever heard!   What about Noah, Joseph, etc...  If you believe that preparedness is anti-faith, then Christians shouldn't carry any kind of insurance.  If preparedness is anti-faith, then Christians shouldn't put gas in their cars because God will provide!  Now, I am not anti-miracles or anything like that.  God can do whatever He wants to do and I have experienced many blessings in my life.  But God also wants us to use our brains.  He did give us an amazing brain to use! 

It's funny that Christians who store food now can be considered anti-faith, but Christians who did it just 100 years ago, when they had to, were just living and using common sense.

The truth is, Christians respond negatively to preparedness because they are afraid of the future and want to use the "faith" argument to feel more at ease.

If anyone is looking for some more info. regarding this, Chris Ray over at Prepared Christian has some good info. - http://preparedchristian.net/christian-world-view/

TI:  Five years from now, where does this country stand, in your opinion?  What can people do to mitigate the impacts of that future, beyond the common preparedness suggestions?
Todd:  This is a good question.  Many in the preparedness community tend to think from crisis to crisis or we are always waiting for the hammer to drop in regards to the economic collapse, that pandemic, an EMP or marital law.  All that is fear based.  A friend recently made the comment that we need to move away from "Emergency Preparedness" to a "Preparedness Lifestyle."  I think that is good advice.

For the future, I think that it is important to put "systems" in place that help us to be less reliant on the systems that society has put in place for us.  That statement should get you thinking about systems of food production and delivery, the electrical grid, your finances, your medical care, etc...  Basically, you should start to take an active role in gardening, minimizing your dependence on the grid (that doesn't mean move totally to alternative energy though), be mindful of your health, finances etc...

Those that take an active interest now, will be better off five years from now, no matter what our country looks like.

Jack Spirko over at The Survival Podcast talks a lot about this topic.  For instance, he recently put out a podcast on the History/Future of Homesteading that is very interesting and details how people who are "awake" have decided to move in this direction - http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/bright-homesteading-in-america

TI:  Anything you’d like to add before we go?
Todd:  I appreciate this opportunity to connect with readers of The Independent!  Also, I hope everyone marks their calendars for October 2013 Book of the Month Club, when The Western Front is featured.  I'm sure that is going to be a great discussion - http://www.preppersmallbiz.com/the-western-front-archer-garrett-botmc/

No comments:

Post a Comment