Thursday, August 8, 2013

Interview: Jarhead Survivor (SHTF Blog)


Today we have Jarhead Survivor, of SHTFblog.

The Independent (TI):  Jarhead, tell us a little about yourself.
Jarhead (JS):

Let’s see… I got into prepping via wilderness survival.  I learned a lot of wilderness skills from my father, grandfather, and uncles growing up – all Native Americans – and then learned more about it while serving a tour in the Marine Corps.

After I got out I spent a lot of time in the hills here in Maine climbing, rappelling, hiking and camping and those backpacking and camping skills I’d learned served me well.  I started going more and more minimalist and pretty soon was camping with just a few items.  These days I pack a tent and most of the mainstream gear, but it’s cool knowing that I can get out in the woods and survive with just a few items. 

One of my favorite thought experiment games is this:  You get lost in the woods, but luckily you have three pieces of gear with you.  If you had a choice what would you take for those three items?

TI:  There are a lot of survival blogs out there, but yours continues to grow in popularity.  What sets you apart?

JS:  I consider us to be “middle of the road” survivalists.  At SHTF Blog we don’t make predictions about when TS will HTF, we just talk about what to do when it does.  I’m not trying to disrespect any blog that does, but I’m nowhere near smart enough to figure out when something bad is going to happen months or even years in advance.

I also have a couple of other writers on the blog.  Calamity Jane does a lot of the farming and gardening kind of posts and takes on other issues you might not see from a male perspective.  She’s very smart and very dedicated and I’m lucky to have her on board.

Then there’s The Road Warrior.  He’s a young guy that lives right here in Maine and he writes about guns, shooting and things like that.  The guy is a walking encyclopedia of firearm facts and I was really happy when he said he would write a weekly post for me.

I’m into wilderness survival as I mentioned earlier.  We all write about various topics outside of main area of interest and there’s some overlap, which makes us a pretty good team in my opinion.  It must be working because people keep coming back.

TI:  You actually have a book out with the best of the blog, SHTF: A Guide to Surviving Almost Anything.  Tell us about it.
JS:  This book was a collaboration and is a “Blog to book” deal.  Basically we took a bunch of blog posts from the site and put them into a book format with hyperlinks to videos and what not.  It turned out better than I’d hoped and it’s actually pretty cool.

I will say this though:  all the information is available on the blog, just not in any particular order.  If you’re struggling financially you might want to just read the blog (there’s a lot of good info there!) and save your money for prepping.  On the other hand if you want a cool book and would like to help out SHTF Blog then by all means buy it!

TI:  Any advice for someone who has got the basics of preparedness down (food storage, medical, self-defense, etc), but are looking to move to the next level? 
JS:  I think that once you reach that stage you can wipe the back of your hand across your forehead and give a sigh of relief.  You’ve tackled the hard part. 

Now it’s time to reevaluate your position and see where you can make improvements. It’s a good idea to write your plan down too.  Set your goals out there with dates so that you can measure them.  For example it’s better to say, “I will have six months of food in my pantry ready to go by January 30, 2013,” rather than, “I’d like to have some food in my pantry in case TSHTF.”  See the difference?  Make a plan, make it measurable, and follow it.  Once it’s done reevaluate again and set new goals if necessary.  It’s an ongoing process.

TI:  What can we expect next from you?  Any plans for a new book?
JS:  Right now I’ve got two young children, 4 and 2, that keep me hopping, but I do have a couple more book ideas in mind and I know some guys (prepperpress.com) that caters to the preparedness group.  Good people and I’d recommend them to anybody thinking about writing a book.

TI:  Anything you’d like to add before we go?
JS:   Once again I’d like to say thanks for being featured on your site.  I appreciate it!

No comments:

Post a Comment